All You Need to Know about A Healing Crisis
Feeling weird or worse after a detox treatment?
You may be going through what we call a healing crisis! Also known as “The Cleansing Reaction”, “The Detox Reaction” or “The Herxheimer Reaction”, a healing crisis happens when your body is eliminating toxins at a much faster rate than usual.
It is usually characterised by a mild or severe temporary increase in certain symptoms during your body’s process of detoxification. It is typical for people to think that such a negative reaction from the body is an indication of how the treatment isn’t suitable or working for them. However, although your body is seemingly reacting with such negative symptoms, these reactions can also mean that the treatment is working and boosting your body’s ability to cleanse itself of impurities, toxins and imbalances.
All of us have toxins in our bodies that we have accumulated over the years. With the help of a detox treatment, toxins at the cellular level are being broken and loosed into the bloodstream. As it is released into the blood, our lymphatic systems then work to transport these unwanted substances to the excretory organs to be disposed of. The speed at which these toxins can be eliminated from our body is much faster than the rate at which our body accumulates toxins. Hence, that is why the effects of a healing crisis can be felt more immediately than the effects of accumulated toxins in our body.
The reactions or symptoms you experience varies according to your body’s condition. There are mainly 4 categories in which these symptoms can fall under. They are:
- A reducing or vanishing of symptoms: this occurs when the obvious symptoms of a current condition reduces or vanishes after a detox treatment
- A temporary worsening of symptoms: this is the most typical reaction that people have after a detox treatment; because your body is detoxing at an accelerated speed, the symptoms related to a condition you currently have can worsen temporarily. For example, those with gastrointestinal diseases are likely to far more and visit the toilet more frequently because of things like diarrhoea
- A sudden appearing of symptoms: this happens when a condition is still mild and undetected by the individual, hence the accelerated speed of detoxification reveals the hidden issue by its symptoms, which is a good thing because of intervention at an early stage!
- A combination of the above 3 categories: as described above
Here’s a list of symptoms that people typically experience after a detox treatment:
- Extreme Fatigue OR the opposite—Restlessness
- Diarrhoea, Farting, Frequent Urination/Urinary Tract Discharges
- Headaches, Cramps, Aches or Pains
- Increased Joint/Muscle Pain, Arthritic Flair Up
- Insomnia, Anxiety, Mood Swings
- Strong Emotions or Suppressed Memories Arise
- Low Fever, Chills, Nausea, Sinus Congestion
- Skin Eruptions or Irritations (e.g.: Boils, Hives, and Rashes)
Note: Sometimes symptoms of old health issues or conditions can also resurface during a healing crisis, but it is just part of the detoxification process your body is going through to clear the toxins that remained from that past condition
Symptoms typically disappear after a few days, and on rare occasions, a few weeks. If you are suffering from a major illness, the symptoms you experience during the healing crisis may be identical to the disease itself.
Tips to Ease Your Way Through the Healing Crisis:
- Drink PLENTY of water (about 2-4 litres a day) to aid your body in flushing out its toxins!
- Get adequate rest, both mentally and physically. If you are feeling fatigued or sleepy after a treatment, your body is telling you to rest! So be kind to yourself and get the rest your body needs.
Yes, it’s that simple! We hope this article helped to ease your worries and concerns over the symptoms you are experiencing post-treatment. Feel free to contact us @ 69511220 OR 87385400 for further clarifications or questions